- Disclaimer about Information Provided. Maps available through this website contain representations of land features compiled from aerial photography, remote sensing technology, recorded deeds and plats, other public records and public data. Users of these maps are hereby notified that the aforementioned public primary information sources should be consulted for verification of the information contained in these maps. These maps are NOT A LAND SURVEY. National Land Realty, LLC, does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information on this website, including, without limitation, any information relating to any prior sales of any real property, specifically including the purchase price. Portions of such information may be incorrect or not current. Any personal entity that relies on any information obtained from this website does so at his or her own risk. National Land Realty, LLC, hereby disclaims any and all liability arising from the information provided on this website. Any person or entity relying on information from this site does so at their own risk.
- Prohibited Uses. BY USING THE NLR WEBSITE, YOU AGREE NOT TO:
- reproduce, publicly display, or otherwise make accessible on or through any other website, application, or service any reviews, ratings, and/or profile information about real estate, lending, or other professionals, underlying images of or information about real estate listings, or other data or content available through the NLR website, except as explicitly permitted by NLR;
- conduct automated queries (including screen and database scraping, spiders, robots, crawlers, bypassing “captcha” or similar precautions, and any other automated activity with the purpose of obtaining information from the NLR website) on the NLR website;
Why You'll Love It
Presenting for sale the historic Shelby Forest General Store and accompanying residence, sitting on 3.1 acres +/- zoned commercial!
Opened in 1934, the real deal Mom and Pop store is a gathering place for locals and travelers alike, offering the essentials and serving food cooked to order hot off the grill. Open every day of the year except for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, the Store can be described as a daily meeting place, a reminder of yesteryear, one of love, hospitality, and consistency. Offering, free of charge, daily restorative hope and healing.
The floors are wooden, uneven, and creaky. The walls are decked out with taxidermy, snake skins, photos, and artifacts of antiquity. The shelves are stocked with homemade Mennonite jar goods from Backermann’s Country Market. Make yourself comfortable in a booth or take it easy at the picnic tables on the front porch where the neighborhood gathers. On any given visit you might find a mix of cyclists, hunters, anglers, disc golfers, ornithologists, the mail carrier, schoolteachers, ministers, firemen, law enforcement, road trippers, singing nuns, a quick cheeseburger on the way to the delivery room (ask for more stories!), all depending on the rhythm of the season and the magic of the Store. It is a place for everyone, a circus of the arcane, and each day holds its own miracles!
The store is fantastically located between the front and rear entrances of the Meeman-Shelby State Park and Eagle Lake Refuge Wildlife Management Area, a combined 18,000+ acres! ‘Shelby Forest’ is year after year one of the most heavily trafficked parks of all 53 parks in the Tennessee State Park system, around a million! Organized hikes, runs, bike races, nature symposiums, and outdoor recreationists frequent the Forest year-round.
There is nowhere else in North America, for that matter the entire world, where you can find over a combined 18,000 acres of canopied hardwood forest only 15 minutes from the downtown of a major metropolitan area with over half a million population, all bordered to the west by the Mighty Mississippi. Deer, turkey, otter, beaver, fox, bobcat, rabbit, and squirrel are plentiful throughout the forest. This pristine area is a favorite for bird watchers, offering over 200 species of songbirds, waterfowl, shorebirds, and birds of prey, including the American Bald Eagle.
Most definitely well worth the however-far-out-of-the-way-you-need-to-go to add the Shelby Forest General Store experience to your bucket list. We’re certain you will find the store a refreshing and pleasant reminder that there is an alternative to the cookie-cutter corporate chain option at the opposite end of the spectrum.
NS BENJESTOWN ROAD COR LOCKE ROAD NW MAP D1-12 (GRID # 040A) 339.93/270MX465/102.59+35.36+130+210
- Store's Web Page
- Facebook Page
- Tourist attraction
- State Park
- Camper, RV, hunters, hikers, bird watchers
- Historical business
- Community landmark
Call Agent for Details
1,998 +/- sqft
BD / BA
Built in 1989
Contact agent for details
Commercial Mixed Use
Future Land Use:
Commercial Mixed Use